Community Forest Bonding Grants
Planting a Diverse Community Forest, Removal and Replacement of EAB-Infested Public Ash Trees, and Replacement of Trees Lost to Storms.
Community Forest Bonding Grants cycle for 2012-2014 is closed for applications.
Grants will be made for the planting of shade trees on public land to:
- Replace trees lost to forest pests, disease or storms
- Establish a more diverse and resilient community forest
- Remove and replace ash trees with infestations of emerald ash borer (EAB)
Public land consists of all publicly owned land within the grantee's jurisdiction where street trees and planting spaces typically exist.
No match is required for these grant funds. However, applicants must complete all contractual obligations as stated in the Components Required upon Project Completion section of these guidelines. Proposals showing partial or full match with non-state cash or local in-kind contributions will be given greater consideration.
- Planting for Diversity projects: All cities, counties, and townships are eligible to apply, as well as Park and Recreation Boards in cities of the first class here on referred to as "Communities". All plantings must occur on publicly owned land, parks, or streets. All trees planted using bonding funds must be listed in the Approved Native Trees List . Maximum grant award for a tree planting project is $25,000.
- Forest Pest Removal and Replanting projects: All cities, counties, and townships, as well as Park and Recreation Boards in cities of the first class are eligible who have identified emerald ash borer (EAB) infestations. All removals must occur on public lands. Priority will be given to cities with EAB infestation within their boundaries or have public lands within a 1-mile radius of a state-designated EAB infestation. Maximum grant award for a tree removal and replanting project is $150,000.
Note: Grant funds are not provided up front. Grantees must initially expend monies, which are then reimbursed under the terms of the grant agreement and listed contract requirements. Grantees can receive partial payments of up to 90 percent of the grant funds requested. The remaining 10 percent or more of the grant funds will be paid after the project, final report and a final inspection have been completed. Grant expenses will not be reimbursed until all requirements are complete.
- Fill out application, available Monday, December 19, 2011
- Additional pages may be added to answer the project questions on the second page of the application form (two page limit). Also optional is an 8 ½" x 11" map of the project (one page limit), the optional budget narrative (one page limit), and a tree planting list (one page limit).
- No other attachments will be considered during review and selection of proposals.
- Application is signed by authorized personal.
- Applications must be sent via mail. Faxed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
- Mail the originals and three copies of the completed application to:
MN Community Forest Bonding Grants, 2012-2014
Minnesota DNR, Div. of Forestry,
Box 44 500 Lafayette Rd.
St. Paul, MN 55155-4044
- Applications must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, February 17, 2012
Award of Funds
Announcement of funding approvals will follow the review and selection process. All proposals will be reviewed by DNR Forestry staff. Final selection of projects and award amounts will be determined by the Bonding Grants Steering Committee.
- All applicants will receive official written notification regarding their request by February 21, 2012.
- Projects cannot begin until all final documentation has been submitted and a grant agreement has been completed.
- Any project costs incurred prior to the start date of the grant agreement will not be eligible for reimbursement.
- Grant funds are not provided up front.
- Grantees must initially expend monies, which are then reimbursed under the terms of the grant agreement, and can receive partial payments of up to 90 percent of the grant funds requested. The remaining 10 percent or more of the grant funds will be paid after completion of the final report and final inspection.
- Deadline for DNR to receive applications: Friday, February 17, 2012
- Written notice of selection and award amount: by March 16, 2012
- Project authorization: March 2012 to June 2012
- A grant agreement will be sent for the applicant to review and sign. The agreement must be returned to the DNR for processing and signatures to be fully executed.
- Additional documents required for the grant agreement will be requested at this time, including:
- A Certification of Bond-financed Public Property for grant project work within road, highway, utility or transit corridors. Certifications will be signed by the grantee and need to include a list of addresses or a map with streets highlighted where project work is planned.
- A Declaration of Bond-Financed Public Property, for all public properties included in the project that are not in road, highway, utility or transit corridors (e.g. public parks). Declarations must include a recordable legal description for each of these properties.
- Any Work started before the grantee receives their fully executed grant agreement, will NOT be eligible for reimbursement.
- Written notice of fully executed contract on file with the DNR: March 2012 to June 2012.
- Project implementation: March 2012 to May 2014, after grantee receives a fully executed Grant Agreement.
- Project Final Report and Compliance Check:
- Upon completion of the project, or if a partial reimbursement is needed, the grantee must notify their designated DNR forester to schedule a compliance check. The DNR Forester should be notified one month prior to completion of the grant project.
- Final Certification form, Declaration form or both. If project locations have been modified, the grantee must include revised attachments (address list, street map or legal descriptions) to their original Certification or Declaration documents with their Final Report & Invoice. Form will be available soon, check back.
- All documents and invoices must be attached to the Final Report & Invoice form and provide to the DNR forester at the time of the compliance check.
- Project completion: Projects must be completed by Friday, June 6, 2014.
Grant projects will be financed using state general obligation bond dollars, authorized by the 2010 Minnesota Legislature. This appropriation provides $3 million for a four-year period ending in June, 2014. The use of these funds is specifically restricted to activities of a capital nature and must be conducted on publicly owned land. Read the guidelines carefully and consult with those in your organization who are familiar with these requirements, such as the City Attorney, Engineer, Administrator or Finance Director. See Minnesota Statutes chapter 16A.695 for details.