Mandatory deer harvest registration
Telephone, internet and phone registration is available in all permit areas
It may be temporarily turned off in the following locations:
If electronic registration is not available, all harvested deer must be brought to the registration station and registered in person
There are now three ways to register harvested deer in Minnesota. They are:
- Internet. Go to Minnesota's Online Licensing Center to register your deer. You will be given a confirmation number, which must be recorded on the license in the appropriate area.
This is typically called Interactive Voice Response (IVR). The system will accept either key punch or voice (e.g., press or say 1). You are asked to record a confirmation number so you must have a pen to complete the registration process. To register your deer using the IVR system, following the steps below. These steps are also printed on your deer license.
- Dial 1-888-706-6367 to get into the system
- Enter the Harvest Registration Number that appears on the license. It’s a 9-digit number that links back to the person and license type. This is the large and bold number printed on your deer license and is NOT your MDNR number.
- Enter the 3-digit area where the deer was killed. The system will only accept valid deer permit areas.
- Enter the date the deer was killed.
- Enter the type of deer – adult male, adult female, fawn male, fawn female.
- The system will then give you a confirmation number that must be written on the license in the appropriate area.
- Walk-in big game registration stations.
This process is unchanged from previous years. Registration stations display large, orange “Big Game Registration” signs. The person whose tag is on the deer must personally present the deer at an official registration station and receive a big game possession tag. The tag must be attached to the hind leg, ear, or antler where the site tag was attached. You can find a complete list of all stations at any DNR wildlife office or on the DNR website.
Specific information for telephone and internet deer registration
- The site tagging regulations have not changed. Refer to the regulations book for site tagging information.
- When the system asks for deer type, please use the following information:
- Adult male – male deer with antlers at least 3” long.
- Fawn male – this is a 6 month old male deer, more commonly known as a “button buck” and weigh less than 75 pounds dressed.
- Adult female – this is an adult doe at least 18 months old. Typically, they have a longer nose and larger body (over 75 pounds dressed weight) than younger antlerless deer.
- Fawn female - this is a 6 month old female deer. They typically have a short nose and weigh less than 75 pounds dressed.
- A harvest registration number can only be used once. The system will not accept multiple registrations using the same number.
- Since the system will recognize the license type, it will only ask questions valid to that license. Here are a few examples:
- Regular Firearms License – Will ask all 4 deer types but will not ask season because it’s only valid during the firearm season.
- Bonus Permits – Will only ask 3 deer types (adult female, fawn male, fawn female) but will also ask season (archery, firearm, muzzleloader).
- Disease Management Permit – Will not work at all since you have to register this deer in permit area 603 anyway.