Water permits

DNR Water Permits

open MPARS

Apply for water permits and well construction preliminary assessments, request changes to existing permits, and report annual water use using MPARS.

open MPARS

Do I need a permit?

Water-related program contact information

Well Construction Preliminary Assessment

Preliminary approval is required before drilling a well that will be used to withdraw more than 10,000 gallons of water per day or 1 million gallons per year. To apply for a Well Construction Assessment, please use the MNDNR Permitting and Reporting System. If you are using MPARS for the first time, you will need to create an account. Once created, click on the link in the Actions box called "New Well Construction Assessment”.

MPARS is the easiest and most convenient method for most people to request a well assessment, and allows for faster response times. If it is not possible for you to apply online, a paper form may be downloaded by clicking the link below.

Water appropriations permits

Infested waters diversion or transportation permits

Public waters work permits

Dam safety permits

Aquatic plant management control permits

A permit may be required for removal of aquatic plants, algae, swimmer's itch or leaches. If you believe that the growth of aquatic plants near your shoreline creates a nuisance, and are uncertain if your project will require a permit, use this flowchart to help pinpoint the steps necessary to identify appropriate control options. If you are already certain that your project will require a permit, apply online.

Fishery related permits

Lake aeration permits